Sunday 14 February 2010

London, Heathrow

After months of waiting, it is finally true: I'm now at the Heathrow airport waiting for my flight to Lusaka. I thought I'd be terrified at this point but I'm only happy that the long wait is over and relieved that in the end I got everything organized.

I will be working as a volunteer in Lusaka for six months. My workplace will be KYP (Kanyama Youth Programme), which provides vocational training to underprivileged youths in the community. I don't know yet exactly what I will do there but at least giving computer classes will be a big part of my work. The whole thing is organized through Kepa's (Service Center for Development Cooperation) volunteering program etvo. Etvo volunteers work in organizations where some Kepa member organization has development cooperation project. In my case, the Finnish partner is SYL (National Union of University students in Finland). There is about 25 of us this year going to Africa, Asia or Latin America.

Past few months, I have tried to prepare for this and to learn about Zambia but I still have a feeling that I have no idea what to expect from my stay in Lusaka. I have never been anywhere in Africa, and also my experiences from developing countries elsewhere are rather thin. In this blog, I will try to share thoughts and experiences - both positive and negative - from work and my everyday life in Lusaka.

No comments:

Post a Comment