Tuesday 20 April 2010

Language matters

Zambia has over 70 languages. Nyanja is the main local language and also the language that the people around me both at home and at work speak. Thus Nyanja is the only local language of which I have learned any words. Nyanja is closely related to Chichewa, which is spoken in Malawi. English is the official language in Zambia and probably because of the large number of languages, it is also used a lot. For instance, all the street advertisement is in English. Most of the people speak English, and especially the ones, with whom I need to talk, speak fluent English. I am not particularly gifted when it comes to learning languages, so it has been difficult to try to find the motivation to learn Nyanja – especially because I know that I won't manage to get very far in only six months.

I know that it's polite to try to learn the local language and people often ask me whether I speak Nyanja. They also encourage me to learn more when they hear the few words that I know. That's why I decide regularly that I need to learn Nyanja and grab the Chichewa Intensive Course book that is in my office. Equally regularly, I get frustrated by just reading the first chapter: Instead of starting with the usual phrases like ”My name is Jill. What is your name?”, it starts with the ever-useful sentences such as ”He leaves the hoe here.” (”Usiya khasu pano.”) and ”We take the bow.” (”Titenga uta”). (The book is written by Rev. Fr. N. Salaun and it was first printed in 1969. It is targeted at missionaries working in Malawi and Zambia.)

I met an American volunteer in Malawi, who had stayed there only a little bit longer than I in Lusaka and who was able to have simple conversations in Chichewa. Thus, I have again decided that I need to learn Nyanja, but this time I am going to go and see whether I could find a bit more modern book from a book store. The unfortunate part is that even if I manage to learn some Nyanja there is always the next question: ”What about Bemba? Have you learned any Bemba?”.

4 comments:

  1. Regarding
    "I am not particularly gifted when it comes to learning languages"
    -
    well, there is proof against it I suppose
    -
    but that relates to acient days when Anu learned the language of some indigenous tribes settling in the vicinity of the Alpes
    -
    very successfully, I must say;-)
    - but then again, one might ask: how about learning some Hungarian?
    Cheers
    Soren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny Sören ;)
    I would use the same time period as a proof for the opposite.

    Well, my skills in Hungarian aren't far behind my Nyanja skills: I can say thank you and I used to be able to say a few phrases, such as ask whether the other person speaks English. (I never got that far that I would've known what German is in Hungarian.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anu, I agree it's always best to Learn the basics – at minimum learn to say please, thank you and hello in the local language before you go. Here is a Nyanja phrase book that might help:
    http://missiontripzambia.com/?p=455

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chisanga,

    Thanks for the link! I'm not anymore in Zambia but I hope the link helps other people searching for info on Nyanja.

    ReplyDelete