Wednesday 7 July 2010

Dangers in Africa

The road to Chirundu is quite new: it was rebuilt only three years ago. It is still in a fairly good condition but it has sharp curves and since Chirundu is lower in altitude than Lusaka the descent is steep. There are a lot of trucks driving to Zimbabwe and they are not necessarily in the best possible condition. Because all of this, the road is quite dangerous and it's pretty common to see accidents there. I've seen an overturned fuel truck there twice. Both times, there were a lot of villagers there collecting the fuel. I was absolutely shocked when I saw it for the first time. There were even a few policemen watching the scene but they let the people continue (they probably got their share of it).

I was planning to blog about it when I saw it for the first time but eventually I forgot about it. Now, the recent news from a neighboring country reminded me of it again.

BBC News - DR Congo oil tanker blaze 'kills 220'

No comments:

Post a Comment