Wednesday 23 June 2010

Notes from minibuses

Sometimes the minibus journeys are plain frustrating but it's true that my life would be a lot more boring if I drove with my own car. I could have a blog where I'd explain only the funny things that have happened to me in a minibus but I want to share a few of them with you:

I was in a minibus going home after work, and our minibus had to stop because an MSF (Medecins sans Frontieres) car came behind us with emergency lights and sirens on. Two minibuses followed immediately after the MSF car. They had obviously seen their opportunity to pass all the other cars when they are giving way to the emergency vehicle.



One evening, I took a minibus from the Embassy supermarket to go home. There is no bus station there but usually there are people dropping off from the buses that come from town, so it's not difficult to catch a ride from there. I took the first minibus that I saw – or actually heard the familiar John Howard, Chawama shout. The minibus had only the conductor and the driver and no other passengers but they started driving anyway. Unfortunately they turned to the wrong direction. I got very worried, and it didn't help much when we turned to a small road where there were basically no people around. They explained me how they were just avoiding the police but as I hadn't seen the police car, it was hard to believe it. Eventually, after driving those small roads for a while, we started seeing more people and we got to a place that I recognized. They dropped me off at my usual stop and didn't even take any payment from me because they had delayed me.



I took a minibus to the Manda Hill mall. Because I don't go there often, I was unsure how much the ride should cost. That's why I asked from the girl sitting next to me whether she knew the price. It turned out that she was going there as well. She asked what I was planning to do there and I rambled about “nephew's” birthday and that I needed to buy him a present. Then I asked her plans and her answer was that she works there in a pizzeria. Duh. Served as a remainder that usually people going shopping in Manda Hill don't take a minibus.



During that same minibus journey, there was a man sitting on my other side. He told me that he had seen white people before but had never talked with one. He was very nice and polite but he had a question: he wanted to know whether white people have any culture. He told me how he can do wood carvings and then asked from me what I can do. This question took me first by surprise but I answered that I can knit, and that I learned it from my grandmother. Soon after that I came up with an even better example: I can do Finnish folk dances (I considered it safe enough to mention it as it's highly unlikely that I would ever be in a situation here where I would need to prove it – it's probably 15 years since the last time I've danced.) He was impressed after hearing this, so I succeeded in removing at least one misconception of the white people.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, because white people come to Africa to experience culture, it must seem that they don't have any themselves :)

    I have been asked to show Finnish folk dances although I don't really know them - I said that it's difficult without the music...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I could've had a good discussion with that man about "Is that really culture?" :)

    ReplyDelete